Colorado Region SCCA Forum Index Colorado Region SCCA
Visit the Colorado Region SCCA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford v Ferrari (November 2019) review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Colorado Region SCCA Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkmura
Colorado Region Asst. RE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Ford v Ferrari (November 2019) review Reply with quote

Last evening we were fortunate enough to take in an early showing of this movie, starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon. Like many members of this region, I suspect we all enjoyed it immensely. While there were some "artistic interpretations" of motorsport history, the story was well-shot and acted. I hope Ford v Ferrari will become a box office success and not be treated like other movies like Rush (another favorite). Ken Miles (Bale) was known as a superlative test driver, and his relationship with his wife and son took on a bigger, and more poignant, part of the story. It contrasted well with the action scenes that made up the bulk of this movie.

Others might disagree, but the LOUD sounds of screaming V8s and shrieking V-12s were an essential part of this film! The fact that live action and not CGi was used in the making of this film was also successful. If you've ever raced in So Cal, you'll recognize plenty of scenes shot at Big Willow. Although if you look closely, you'll see they shot a few scenes running the track both directions. I also noticed the Dunlop Bridge at LeMans was actually the Nissan bridge at Road Atlanta with a bunch of mockup disguise on it.

The best line of the movie was the Shelby team watching the sleek red Ferrari P4s being pushed past their pits before the start. "Well, if this was a beauty contest, we'd have already lost", opins Miles, as Shelby (Damon) can only shake his head. Ford v Ferrari was a memorable piece of motorsports history and it was an immense pleasure watching it come to life. Any other thoughts? I bet lots of us got a kick out of watching the start of a recreated SCCA race at Willow Springs, which is much like today!
Peter Olivola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That recreated SCCA race start was the only thing that I thought was cringe worthy. Otherwise an enjoyable movie overall. The rest of the historicity wasn't a detractor. Good character development which is about the writing as much as the acting and directing.
dkmura
Colorado Region Asst. RE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter- glad you enjoyed it. Other cringe-worthy scenes included staring mano-a-mano at the driver being passed on the Mulsanne straight and "willing" a car to accelerate in a passing situation. Whether it's the backstraight at HPR or a longer straight at LeMans, you need your vision to be focused on where you're going, not sneering at your opponent. Pure Hollywood! And assuming you drove the line cleanly, if you aren't at WOT by corner exit, it's no use pushing down the loud pedal any harder.

One more laughable line: "Shelby, I'm gonna get you banned from the SCCA AND LeMans!" LOL
Peter Olivola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the in car stuff was sketchy, but there have been worse. Even LeMans had some less than real in car. Maybe I've just learned to ignore it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Colorado Region SCCA Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: