Colorado Region SCCA Forum Index Colorado Region SCCA
Visit the Colorado Region SCCA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposed change in CF tire spec for 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Colorado Region SCCA Forum Index -> Regional Class Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wogrin's

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: CF tires Reply with quote

I have to agree with the Letterly's math on costs, tire wars are why I
got out of kart racing.

So just to add my vote
Yes to AR's for the next 3 to 4 years.
Chris Wogrin
Boysen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the CF Regional Championship goes, I do not support allowing newer cars than the current rule ('83 and older; no Swift). As noted by others, newer cars can run as FF, and there could be an allowance for non- spec tires, but expanding eligibility further would lead to a request for Swifts, then for Honda engines, then more tire choices, etc.

On tires, it seems clear from above experiments, and comments from SF Region 2-yrs ago, that the Hoosier R60a is a faster tire. I've tried it too, and I like it. But, I don't necessarily like it $200 per set better. If we allow the Hoosier, I agree that we'll all be on the Hoosier soon, and paying more to race as a result.

I do not support locking in on tires for a long time. Locking in means we guarantee that we will stay on the current AR rule for the time period stated. The tire picture is changing; Hoosier supposedly has a treaded club vintage tire coming, SVRA just mandated Toyos for all FF-CF-PCF, scca will be on a spec radial for Majors. We may want to have an option in the future, just not now.

I vote No on all proposed changes for 2016 to RMD CF Championship rules.
jthompson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Rules Reply with quote

Keith -
You started this thread.
Want to chime in?
keith hall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was hoping to ride rising tide of excitement over the acceptance of the Hoosier tyre for CF. As Bob correctly pointed out I would do just about anything to lower my lap times a few tenths at HPR. So the promise of 2 whole seconds for only $50 per tyre is almost beyond my imagination!

However, it looks like few of you share my excitement. We have a very competitive field in CF and the ARs work just fine on our race cars. The RMVR uses the ARs for their CF class and we can run with them or they can run with us with us whenever we so desire. The vintage FF guys choose not to run with the Avons in CF so I don't see any reason to add those tyres to our CF spec. Hoosier may decide to cut the price of the R60s in the future just to get our CF Championship Series to use them - who knows, stranger things happen every day - so I don't see any reason to lock the tyre decision in for 5 years. I think we should have this discussion every winter.

As to the eligibility issue I just don't know enough about FF history to make an informed decision so I will leave that to the guys who know. Perhaps we should take that on a car by car basis. If someone joins our class and really cleans our clocks then we can have a discussion here. Maybe the ARs are the great equalizer. Perhaps we should let a DB1 run with us for a season on ARs to see? Just as long as he doesn't finish in front of me!

My decision is to vote no on the changes to the CF rules for 2016. Sorry Chris.

I guess I will just have to keep throwing my $$$ at lighter parts so I can get down to min weight.
CF #18
Jim Widrg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly new to CF racing with SCCA and new to the spec tire issues in this class. I have raced with PCA Club Racing in a 911SC for several years and have gone through several different tires to find both a competitive tire and best cost for me. Tires do make a difference at some point but driving skills, car set-up, reliability, are other factors that play into the overall performance on track. I have no problem with allowing any of these tires as each racer will individually choose the tire that suits their budget, car set-up, and driving skills. Just keep a tire size limitation. If we were a majors class then it would be different. Availability throughout the season will also help if there are more than one tire to choose from. Right now I am on a Hoosier diet in PCA racing and would like a lower cost option in running CF.

Jim Widrig
82 Van Dieman
keith hall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,

We are fast approaching Chris' cutoff date of before Dec 22, 2015 for the CF rules change vote. Not everyone has declared their vote on each proposed rule change and some were not clear on anything. I have attempted to compile the clear yes and no votes here:

Proposal to add Hoosiers to the approved tyre list:
Yes 2 votes
No 7 votes

Proposal to add Avons to the approved tyre list:
Yes 2 votes
No 6 votes

Proposal to change the year of manufacture to 1986:
Yes 1 vote
No 4 votes
CF #18
Boysen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: allow treaded CF tires Reply with quote

I did not mean to vote against allowing guests from RMVR, or Arizona, to use the club tires which they normally run on. Specifically, the Dunlop 9092, Avon ACB9 in A29 compound, and the Toyo R888 dot radial. I don't think that any these tires have a performance advantage over the AR, and I thought that we had voted them in for those guests. In fact, one of the pictures recently posted on this site, under the Club Ford Championship, shows a car on treaded tires. I vote to allow the above specifically.
Chris Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm having difficulty making a poll to get the vote we will use the tally the Keith has put together as the results. That being said there are no changes to to the rules.

Surface Exploration Ltd
Shop # 303.940.1500
Fax # 303.940.1509

www.surfaceexploration.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keith hall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris,

I am looking forward to revisiting the tyre discussion next winter. Who knows, maybe the price of rubber will tank just like oil.

In response to Boysen's post I assume that we will still honor our gentleman's agreement with the RMVR that any of the vintage FFs are welcome to run with us on their Avons or Dunlops.

BTW, some of the pictures on the CF web page are from the RMVR FF Festival. Thanks to Billi and Andy Melvin for the pics.
CF #18
keith hall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Introduces a new treaded tire for vintage FF classes:

http://www.svra.com/tech-bulletins/tb2016-004-ff-tires/

Reported to be based on the R60 compound this bias ply tire may be something to consider in the next spec tire discussion. I am certain the the RMVR guys will test this for us.
CF #18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Colorado Region SCCA Forum Index -> Regional Class Rules All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: